Original Summary

Disclosure: I’m the developer of the app mentioned in this post. I make a lot of demo videos for my side projects, so I started building my own screen recorder as a Chrome extension. It worked, but it never felt smooth enough, so I rebuilt it as a native Mac app. Here’s what I learned along the way. 1. Browser extensions hit a ceiling for recording. Recording through the browser meant fighting frame drops, limited control over the cursor, and awkward permission prompts. Fine for quick captures, but not for demos that need to look polished. 2. Going native was worth the rewrite. On macOS you get direct access to the system’s screen capture, so recordings are smoother, use less CPU, and can capture any app, not just browser tabs. The difference was obvious from the first test. 3. “No editing” is the real feature. Most people don’t want a video editor. They want the first take to look good. So I put most of my effort into making raw recordings look clean straight away instead of adding editing tools. 4. Screenshots and recordings belong in one app. I kept switching between a screenshot tool and a recorder while making demos. Combining them removed a lot of small friction. 5. Ship before it’s perfect. The extension version taught me what actually mattered. If I’d waited to build the “perfect” native app first, I’d have built the wrong features. The app is called Smooth Recorder (smoothrecorder.com). It does screen recordings and screenshots on Mac. For anyone who makes demo videos: what’s the most annoying part of your current workflow? I’m trying to figure out what to improve next.   submitted by   /u/braindev9 [link]   [comments]


  • 情报分类:综合情报
  • 分类依据:内容未命中明确的垂直分类规则,归入综合情报
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SaaS
  • 发布时间:2026/10/9 15:07:27