Original Summary

Getty Images Shaun of the Dead and Mission: Impossible films star Simon Pegg has revealed he has been diagnosed with ADHD, which he said "confirmed a lot of stuff that I'd been wrestling with". Pegg, 56, who also co-created and starred in films Hot Fuzz, The World's End, and TV series Spaced, said "there was a lot of build-up and suspicion, and it just took a while actually to get there." Speaking on the podcast I'm ADHD! No You're Not on Thursday, he said he pursued a diagnosis as he "just wanted to know". ADHD symptoms focus on three main areas - inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity plus lack of concentration. Although many people may feel like they have some similar symptoms, genetics play an important role in ADHD and a full diagnosis is given to those who are negatively affected on a daily basis. Pegg said he had previously been putting his symptoms down to "just character fault". The actor and writer also spoke about his mental health, including having clinical depression and struggling to control his drinking, which he said he initially thought had "caused" his diagnosis. "I felt like it was something that had come on in later life because I wasn't a naughty child. "I've had bouts of depression in my adult life since 18 and I thought maybe it had come on with that. "Maybe over the years with therapy and medication - whatever - I've been treating the symptoms and not the cause of why I feel that way." Pegg said: "I did feel different in a way I might not be able to put my finger on. Maybe everybody feels that way. "I just assumed ADHD kids were kind of chaotic and difficult and didn't pay attention in school," he added. "But there were other things that I did do as a kid – fidget or whatever – that made me think, 'Oh no, maybe I've had this longer than I thought'." Pegg said his wife has been supportive and is "dealing with it as if I'd been diagnosed ages ago", adding: "It's just who I am, and it's just things that I do. "She makes allowances for forgetfulness and and lack of concentration." Pegg had previously said he felt his poor driving was down to undiagnosed ADHD. The star, who has had several speeding convictions, told LBC last year that he felt an ADHD diagnosis would help explain his poor concentration when it comes to driving. He reversed into a post while on holiday in Greece, which prompted him to look up the symptoms of ADHD. "I looked up on the phone 'Do people with ADHD get into more car accidents than people who don't have it' and the answer was yes. "And it's because of a lack of focus and ability to kind of totally focus. "And that was the final straw that broke my ADHD camel's back. I need to speak to a psychiatrist and find out for sure if I have this thing." Huge demand Other celebrities who have been diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood include comedian and actor Johnny Vegas, comic and presenter Sue Perkins, presenters Ant McPartlin and Richard Bacon, comedian Rory Bremner and model Erin O'Connor. ADHD is described by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) as "a behavioural syndrome characterised by hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention". The NHS estimates that about 2.5 million people in England have ADHD, including those without a formal diagnosis. Diagnosis rates of ADHD and autism have soared, and waiting lists for assessments on the NHS in England are at record levels, with lists even closing in some areas due to the huge demand. Research from University College London suggests nearly a 20-fold increase in the number of UK adults diagnosed with ADHD between 2000 and 2018. Despite these rises in diagnosis and referrals, some studies suggest ADHD is actually underdiagnosed. In June, the Lancet Regional Health Europe journal published research suggesting that while around 1.2% of adults in England had an ADHD diagnosis, international prevalence data estimates it affects 3-5% of people. The authors of the study said this indicates it could still be under-diagnosed, particularly in older age groups.


  • 情报分类:商业与市场研究
  • 分类依据:内容涉及商业、投资或市场动态
  • 信息来源:英语新闻 / BBC News Top Stories
  • 发布时间:2026/10/8 17:35:30