Original Summary

Hi, I'm Emanuel, a solo dev from Quebec. This is Layout, a Mac app I built for myself and now sell. I usually have 3 or 4 projects open at once. Each one has an editor, a couple of terminals, browser tabs, sometimes the iOS Simulator, and a Claude or Codex chat. macOS has no idea which window belongs to which project, so my day was a lot of ⌘Tab. Coding agents made it worse: one would finish or ask for a permission in another project, and I'd go hunting for its window. In Layout, each project is a workspace. ⌃⌥1, ⌃⌥2 and so on bring back that project's windows where you put them and move everything else out of view. Claude and Codex jump to that project's latest chat, and Slack to its channel. A few other things it does: - Launch opens a project from nothing: the apps, the editor on the project folder, your dev commands typed into your terminal, browser tabs and a simulator. - With Claude Code or Codex hooked up, a card drops from the notch when an agent is done or needs you. ⌃⌥N takes you to that exact session, tmux panes included. - Each keyboard can have its own shortcuts. I use a Voyager, so I needed that one. - If you quit, every window comes back on screen. If it crashes, open it again and each window goes back to its workspace. How it's built: Swift, with SwiftUI for the interface and AppKit plus the Accessibility API to move windows. It doesn't use Spaces. There's no public API to move windows between Spaces, and I didn't want the slide animation anyway, so the other workspaces' windows get parked out of view, the same trick the tiling manager AeroSpace uses. Updates go through Sparkle, licenses through Polar, and the site is Astro on Cloudflare Workers. Even the video is code, made with Remotion. Moving windows turned out to be the easy part. The hard part is apps doing their own thing. Some refuse Accessibility calls for a moment right after they launch. Some throw away their windows and make new ones when they update. And after a restart, macOS gives every window a new ID, so remembering IDs isn't enough. It's a 14-day free trial, no card. After that it's $9.99 once during early access ($19 after 1.0), for 2 Macs, no subscription. macOS 14 or later, Apple silicon and Intel. https://getlayout.app I'd love feedback from anyone who juggles several projects on one Mac. What's the most annoying part of switching for you right now?   submitted by   /u/EQuimper [link]   [comments]


  • 情报分类:技术学习与提效
  • 分类依据:内容涉及技术、AI、软件工具或工程实践
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
  • 发布时间:2026/10/8 02:09:46