Original Summary

Hey guys! My brother and I are two foreign language learners who did not want to pay for Duolingo's 160$ a year family plan anymore, and were tired of using a separate app for SRS (flashcards) so we've been working on Openlingo for the last 6 months or so, trying to dial it in; and we're finally looking for feedback! Open Lingo : https://openlingoapp.com · Our Discord : https://discord.gg/ExA8TG3y Free, with structured courses for Japanese, Korean, Spanish and French, plus loads of exercises, vocab, and practice. It was built with context-heavy particle & conjugation languages (Korean, Japanese, other Southeast Asian languages) in mind which I feel Duolingo misses the mark on pretty heavily. What makes it different than Duolingo We tried to build it around what second-language acquisition (SLA) research says works, instead of streak mechanics: - Spaced retrieval with FSRS . That's the same open-source scheduler modern Anki uses. Every word and grammar point you learn goes into your "to review" list, which adapts the retrieval date to how well you actually remembered the word. - Comprehensible input . Quite a few graded stories only using words you've already been taught, so you read real text you can actually follow. - Teach before test . Automated checks make sure no word is used before it's taught, and vocab is introduced roughly in frequency order. - Explicit grammar, with examples . Short rule notes with example sentences, then practice, rather than "guess the pattern from 50 sentences". - Generous streak mechanics. and cheap streak freezes (to keep you motivated!) Content Disclaimer : to launch with full courses in four languages as a two-person team, we drafted them with AI help, then edited them with our own learning experience of Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. Anything a native speaker hasn't reviewed yet is labelled, and native review is the plan as soon as we can afford it, or steal enough of our ESL/Multi-lingual friends' time 😄. What I'd love feedback on ! - Your first 5 minutes: where did it confuse you or lose you? - What's missing from the UI (It feels like it's missing some things to me) - Does it feel different from Duolingo, or am I drinking the kool-aid - If you're learning one of these languages, is anything wrong? - If you feel one 15 second ad a day to save your progress across devices and across restarts is survivable (the goal is to eliminate ads if we get enough paid members) The build : - Frontend: a React + TypeScript progressive web app - Backend: FastAPI on AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, and an SQS worker for events, leaderboards and notifications. - built for hyper scale-to-zero-bility to make the free model with very very minimal ads plausible I am a Cloud & DevOps engineer so cost at scale in the public cloud is my passion 😄 Thanks for reading! I hope my use of emojis doesn't make this read too AI, I feel naked without my slack emojis, but I d


  • 情报分类:技术学习与提效
  • 分类依据:内容涉及技术、AI、软件工具或工程实践
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
  • 发布时间:2026/10/7 10:10:30