- SignalDesk1小时前
Original Summary
I built this on my own, and it just went out. It's free with one banner ad on the phone, never on the car screen, and $0.99 removes the ad permanently. Why it exists: CarPlay has Messages, podcasts and audiobooks, and no Mail. Siri will read you a single notification if you catch it in time. So I wrote something that works down your unread inbox out loud, and at any point you can say skip, mark as read, reply, forward or summary. Gmail, Outlook and iCloud get merged into one stream, oldest-first or newest-first, whichever you set. Two things ate most of the time, and neither was the part I expected going in. Email isn't written to be heard. Signatures, legal disclaimers, tracking URLs, 40-character hex reference IDs, and the raw CSS some newsletters leak into the plain-text half of the message. Out loud that's just noise. Listening to a few samples and judging by ear turned out to be useless, so I built a harness that pushes my actual mailbox through the same decoder the app ships and flags anything in the output that would sound like garbage. Nearly every formatting fix came from that rather than from me guessing. Google's OAuth wall. Reading a whole mailbox is a restricted scope, which means a paid third-party security assessment every year. I asked for an exemption on the grounds that the app has no server to breach, and got a flat no. So Gmail connects over IMAP with a Google app password instead. That's about two minutes of setup and your real password never goes into the app, but it's friction, and most Workspace accounts have app passwords disabled, so work Gmail often won't connect at all. Outlook uses the normal Microsoft sign-in. iCloud is an app password too. Stack is SwiftUI with the CarPlay audio templates. Voice commands run through Apple's on-device speech recognizer, not SiriKit, so none of this is Siri. Summaries of long messages are generated on the phone. There's no backend at all; the app talks to your mail provider directly. Mail is cached on the device, encrypted at rest with iOS file protection, which is what lets CarPlay start reading before the network answers. iOS 17+, English only. https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id6760625295?pt=128605371&ct=rd-sideproject&mt=8 The feedback I want most: if something in your inbox comes out sounding wrong, tell me what kind of email it was. Every fix so far traces back to a real mailbox. I'd also like to hear from anyone running it on Outlook, since that's the path I've had the least chance to test.   submitted by   /u/Telasight [link]   [comments]
- 情报分类:硬件与数码
- 分类依据:内容涉及硬件、数码产品或通信卡
- 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
- 发布时间:2026/10/6 22:50:27
- 暂无回复