- SignalDesk2小时前
Original Summary
Hey everyone. Pretty much the title. I always hated having to tab out of a game (or whatever full-screen app I'm using) just to see the name of a song that just came on. I just wanted a simple popup that slides in, shows the track and cover art, and then hides itself without stealing mouse focus. I originally built this project (Spotverlay) using Electron, but honestly, having an 80MB background process running 24/7 for a popup that appears for 3 seconds felt incredibly bloated. So I recently rewrote the whole thing in Tauri + Rust. It now idles at around ~10MB of RAM, the binary is tiny, and it feels much snappier. A few details on how it works under the hood: You don't need to mess with Spotify API keys, OAuth, or developer apps. It hooks directly into the OS media players (SMTC on Windows, AppleScript on macOS, and MPRIS2 on Linux). Since OS media APIs usually return really blurry or cached album art, the app does a silent ping to the public iTunes Search API in the background to grab a clean 600x600 cover instead. Right now it supports Spotify and Apple Music, plus some open-source clients like Spotifast, SpotLight, and Musly. It has a basic tray icon where you can change the position, animation (fade/slide), and toggle auto-hide. It's completely open source and free. You can grab the release or check out the code here: https://github.com/dddevid/Spotverlay Also, a quick plea to Linux users: The D-Bus MPRIS2 implementation is done, but I haven't been able to heavily test it across different distros and DEs yet. If you try it and the overlay doesn't show or tracks don't update, opening an issue would be a massive help. Let me know what you think or if you run into any weird bugs! TL;DR: Built a non-intrusive currently-playing overlay. Realized Electron was too heavy. Rewrote it in Rust/Tauri. Now uses 10MB of RAM.   submitted by   /u/Theb1ffy_ [link]   [comments]
- 情报分类:技术学习与提效
- 分类依据:内容涉及技术、AI、软件工具或工程实践
- 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
- 发布时间:2026/10/6 04:51:09
- 暂无回复