Original Summary

When reading a history book, I sometimes have a hard time internalizing when the events are taking place. Sure, I know the dates, but it takes a bit of effort to put them in a broader context, to understand where in history they belong. What usually helps is to put them in relation to other contemporaneous events. To play around with this, I&#x27;ve made Meanwhile Map. You select a date and a time window, then scroll around the world map to see a list of contemporaneous events. For example, yes, the Mughal Empire was founded by Babur in the 1520s, but it paints a different picture in my head when I see that this roughly coincides with Cortés&#x27; capture of Tenochtitlan, or that it&#x27;s close to the Siege of Vienna. Example link: <a href="https:&#x2F;&#x2F;meanwhilemap.com&#x2F;#y=1520&amp;m=1&amp;span=120&amp;off=founded,people&amp;map=1.4&#x2F;25&#x2F;0" rel="nofollow">https:&#x2F;&#x2F;meanwhilemap.com&#x2F;#y=1520&amp;m=1&amp;span=120&amp;off=founded,pe...</a><p>On the technical side, the app is a single static web page. It uses Wikidata for data (via SPARQL) and OpenHistoricalMap to show the events on the political map of the time. It&#x27;s open source (<a href="https:&#x2F;&#x2F;github.com&#x2F;ea&#x2F;meanwhilemap&#x2F;tree&#x2F;main" rel="nofollow">https:&#x2F;&#x2F;github.com&#x2F;ea&#x2F;meanwhilemap&#x2F;tree&#x2F;main</a>), vibe coded as an experiment. All processing is client-side, and no data is tracked other than simple visitor counts.


  • 情报分类:技术学习与提效
  • 分类依据:内容涉及技术、AI、软件工具或工程实践
  • 信息来源:Hacker News 新项目
  • 发布时间:2026/10/6 03:48:03