Original Summary

I recently shipped a marketplace and since I saw a few posts with questions regarding this topic, I thought it might be helpful to share what I learned. Firstly the concept of a digital marketplace as a whole is extremely complex in itself. There's a large amount of processes that make a marketplace what it is. In my simple thinking I was of the assumption that someone sells something on my marketplace and I take a fee. I was forgetting that the seller needs to register, they need to be verified, they need tools to sell their products... All of this is just for the seller. Now you also must consider things like who is the MoR, how do you protect against fraud, how can the buyer actually buy the product, if the purchase is recurring the buyer also needs to be registered etc. I think you get my point. The next hurdle was the technical implementation. In planning I chatted with AI and got to the conclusion that I can just use Stripe Connect. In reality I could use Stripe Connect but I needed to find out exactly how I want to use Stripe Connect. It's a developed product with many resources but the actual implementation needs to be done by you, since only you know what your marketplace needs. The next problem I faced might not be relevant to everyone since it's because of my location. Depending on where you are based, you might fall under some regulations. For me this was especially annoying since the way I wanted the payment to work was a bit unusual. To break it down, I needed to hold the sellers money until completion of the sold service. This concept has a few issues and I spent a lot of time doing research and understanding the laws. After all of this work comes the problem which might even be the largest one: Marketing. Marketplaces have the so called "cold-start" problem. Without any existing sellers you can't attract any buyers and vice versa. I had a solution for getting the first sellers but there was another issue: The huge amount of friction for the seller to register. With Stripe Connect the onboarding was simplified since it can be done on Stripe's platforms but the seller needs to go through the entire KYC nonetheless. This post is not meant to scare anyone off from building a marketplace business. In fact this is exactly how business works. You tackle the problems, so someone else doesn't have to do it. Just understand the scope of the thing you are trying to build and plan accordingly. Hope this helps and let me know what kind of marketplace SaaS you are working on!   submitted by   /u/freedomchaserr [link]   [comments]


  • 情报分类:商业与市场研究
  • 分类依据:内容涉及商业、投资或市场动态
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SaaS
  • 发布时间:2026/10/5 16:18:41