Original Summary

I’m currently in Canada on an LMIA-based food store job, working around 50 hours/week for close to minimum wage. Assuming everything goes as planned, I should get PR in about 2 years. My education is in Electrical Engineering, but I don’t want to pursue that career in Canada. I’ve always loved IT and kept it as a hobby, and now I want to seriously switch careers. My current job leaves me little time and money to pursue electrical work, since that requires workshops, tools, software, etc. IT is different — I can learn from home with a laptop, build projects, and create a portfolio during these two years. I know the IT market is difficult right now because of AI, and I’m not expecting an easy or guaranteed job. I’m willing to put in the work. I just don’t know which direction makes the most sense. Should I focus on web development, data, AI/ML, cloud/DevOps, cybersecurity, or something else? I also understand that having multiple skills may be more important now than specializing in just one area. I can’t afford paid courses right now, so I’ll be using free resources. If you were in my position, what IT path would you choose and how would you spend the next 2 years preparing for a job in Canada? I’d especially appreciate advice from people who have switched careers into IT or are currently working in Canadian tech.   submitted by   /u/ManG3690 [link]   [comments]


  • 情报分类:工作与职业机会
  • 分类依据:内容涉及招聘、求职或职业发展
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
  • 发布时间:2026/10/5 00:13:47