Original Summary

Hi everyone, I'm a solo, student founder building a SaaS product on a tight budget. I'm at the stage where I've narrowed down a few possible brand names, and I'm trying to figure out the right order and process for securing the name before I launch. I'd really appreciate hearing how you handled it. Where I am right now: I have a short list of candidate names. I've done a basic web search and app store search for conflicts, but nothing formal yet. I haven't bought a domain or filed anything. I'm based in korea, and I plan to serve users globally. My questions: Order of operations: Did you buy the domain first, run a trademark search first, or file the trademark first? Looking back, what would you do differently? Conflict checks: How did you vet a name beyond a Google search? Did you do the trademark search yourself, or pay an attorney? What did you wish you'd checked? Where and when to file: Did you file only in your home country first, or in the US/EU too? Did you wait until you had traction, or file before launch? Costs: Roughly what did the domain and trademark each cost you, and what hidden costs surprised you (attorney fees, renewals, office actions)? Domain hurdles: What if the .com was taken? Did you go with another TLD, add a prefix or suffix, or buy it from the owner? How did that negotiation go? Things that went wrong: Any horror stories (domain squatters, a conflict found after launch, a rejected application) and how you solved them? Tools or services: Any registrars, search tools, or low-cost filing services you'd recommend or avoid for a bootstrapped founder? I understand this isn't legal advice. I'm just trying to learn from people who've been through it so I can avoid common mistakes.   submitted by   /u/Embarrassed_Way6530 [link]   [comments]


  • 情报分类:开源项目与落地
  • 分类依据:内容涉及项目实践、创业、副业或变现
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SaaS
  • 发布时间:2026/10/4 13:28:36