Original Summary

I love keybr, but it only sees the ten minutes a day I spend on keybr, not the ten hours I spend typing elsewhere. Can’t improve what you don’t measure.<p>(A)I made Fumble is a macOS menu-bar app that watches you type (all day, all local), works out which keys&#x2F;key pairs are costing you time and gives you lessons built around them.<p>One thing that surprised me: my slowest key is B, but the one costing me the most time is G. It&#x27;s less than half as slow, but I press it three times as often. And 7 of my 10 worst key pairs start with space. I need to get better at starting words.<p>Some design decisions HN might want to argue with:<p>- I rank weak keys by time lost, not how slow they are. Time lost is how far a key is over your baseline, times how often you press it. A key 40ms slow that you hit 2k times costs more than one 220ms slow that you hit 50 times. The goal isn&#x27;t to practice the slowest keys, it&#x27;s to raise your WPM.<p>- Your baseline is the median of your own per-key p95s, not the p95 of every keystroke pooled together. Pooling lets a common slow key drag the baseline up and hide itself, and those are the keys that slow down the whole show.<p>- Slow finger vs thinking: pause adapts to each key pair based on your own median for that pair. There&#x27;s no flat cutoff.<p>- The WPM figure shows you what it left out: keystrokes injected by software (text expanders, Keyboard Maestro, osascript), autorepeat, idle time and practice sessions. Every exclusion can be seen in the dropdown.<p>Privacy: it records physical keycodes and timings not characters. What goes to disk is counters and latency histograms, with no keystroke sequence. Also records nothing while a password field has focus. There&#x27;s no network code&#x2F;account&#x2F;telemetry. PRIVACY.md lists the remaining risk (adjacent-pair frequencies) and gives commands to verify all of this yourself.<p>It can&#x27;t be on the Mac App Store, because it needs Input Monitoring and the store requires sandboxing. The download is signed and notarized, so it opens like any normal Mac app.<p>Free and open source, written in Swift for macOS 14+.<p>Download: <a href="https:&#x2F;&#x2F;fumble.alexmcconnell.ie" rel="nofollow">https:&#x2F;&#x2F;fumble.alexmcconnell.ie</a> Source: <a href="https:&#x2F;&#x2F;github.com&#x2F;alexiscodingbits&#x2F;Fumble" rel="nofollow">https:&#x2F;&#x2F;github.com&#x2F;alexiscodingbits&#x2F;Fumble</a><p>Warning: early days. Not everything has been tested in the wild yet.<p>The thing I&#x27;d most like ideas on is word choice for the weak-spot drills. Right now it takes my top 5 weak keys and top 5 weak pairs and leans towards words that contain them. That treats every weak spot as equal, and it picks words one at a time. What I actually want is the set of 30 words that wins back the most time overall, weighted by how much each weak spot is costing me. It feels like a set-cover problem, and I&#x27;m sure there&#x27;s a smarter way to do it than mine. If you&#x27;ve worked on anything like this, I&#x27;d love to hear how you&#x27;d approach it.


  • 情报分类:商业与市场研究
  • 分类依据:内容涉及商业、投资或市场动态
  • 信息来源:Hacker News 新项目
  • 发布时间:2026/10/2 05:05:17