- SignalDesk1小时前
Original Summary
Open Amazon and search for any public domain classic. Most of what you'll find is an automated scrape with broken margins, no notes, and a cover that looks like a robot had a bad dream. I'm a philologist, and after years of seeing La Celestina treated like digital landfill, I did something slightly unreasonable: I started my own press. It's called Ediciones Galatea. It's a one-person operation making critical editions of Spanish classics, with a brutalist, no-decoration look. The idea is that the text should be the only thing on the page. How it works, in case you're curious: The layout is code. I didn't want to pay for InDesign or fight with a LaTeX template, so I built the whole pipeline in Typst. I feed it structured text plus the critical apparatus, and it spits out print-ready PDF/X in a few seconds. Same source gives me a print-on-demand paperback and something that reads fine on e-ink. Changing a margin or a footnote style is one line, not an afternoon. The scholarly part is mine. I write the introductory studies, collate the textual variants, and annotate the text so that 15th–19th century Spanish is actually readable today. A lot of my readers are people preparing competitive exams, so the notes are written for them. Amazon was the surprise boss fight. Public domain means you have to prove your edition adds something. I got flagged by automated content review, and I ended up documenting every bit of the derivative work (studies, variants, notes) just to show a human that this wasn't another scrape. Annoying, but it made my paperwork better. Store page . What I'd love to hear from you: does the typographic hierarchy hold up? Does the cover philosophy make sense, or is it too austere? And do you think this "books as code" model could work in other niches, or is it only viable because Spanish classics are my weird corner of the world?   submitted by   /u/No_Atmosphere4790 [link]   [comments]
- 情报分类:商业与市场研究
- 分类依据:内容涉及商业、投资或市场动态
- 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
- 发布时间:2026/10/1 01:17:36
- 暂无回复