Original Summary

Hi HN. Formally educated software engineer here. Been at it professionally since 2013, coding since 1999.<p>Today I&#x27;m showing off Chow.fit, an AGPL food diary I Clauded up in Gleam. You can self-host it with the Dockerfile or just use the one I host on chow.fit.<p>Why does the world need another food diary app? I can&#x27;t speak for the whole world, but as for me:<p>I used MyFitnessPal back in 2017-2019. It was mostly tolerable with an ad blocker. A month ago due to numbers I didn&#x27;t like, I wanted to start tracking calories again. I quickly noticed that in the MFP android app, the barcode scanner is now a paid feature. It felt like paying to use my own phone camera. Their web app is slow and stuck in 2013, so I made my own web app which better aligns with my values and goals. I&#x27;ve lost 5% of my body weight!<p>I like to call an app like this &quot;un-SaaS&quot; because it subverts a lot of the usual SaaS playbook.<p>- Distraction-free. No AI, no ads, no tracking, no engagement-hancing e.g. no activity&#x2F;news feed. It logs food and gets out of the way. - All features except sync work without a subscription. - An optional subscription enables sync. A year covers my hosting costs and buys me a T-shirt. - Sync is local-first. You can still log food e.g. in an airplane. The app syncs up when you go back online. - If you stop the subscription, the app keeps working without sync. - Your data is plain text files on your device. When SparkPeople shut down in 2021, its users could only download their daily totals. They lost everything else. That can&#x27;t happen with Chow. - It uses public food data (FDC and OFF), not proprietary - It can import from MyFitnessPal using a bookmarklet to get your auth token which stays local. - It has a desktop app, Android&#x2F;iOS app, and a CLI. None currently shipped, but you can build from source.<p>Folks who track what they eat: Let me know what else you&#x27;d like to see!


  • 情报分类:服务器与云资源
  • 分类依据:内容涉及服务器、云资源或网络线路
  • 信息来源:Hacker News 新项目
  • 发布时间:2026/9/30 03:33:17