Original Summary

Fuel prices in Europe have been all over the place lately, and every time I planned a longer drive I ended up doing the same thing: check the distance in Google Maps, look up fuel prices, open a calculator, then work out how much each person in the car owes. So I built something to do that for me. Tankful is a free Chrome extension that adds the fuel cost next to the time and distance of every route option in Google Maps. There's also a web calculator with a map for when you're on your phone or don't use Chrome. You pick a start, a destination and any stops, and you can share the result as a link. What it does: Petrol (95/98), diesel, LPG, or electric (home charging up to fast chargers), or your own price Trips across several countries: the price is weighted by the kilometres driven in each EU country Return trip and cost per person Trip history, CSV export, and a business mileage log 12 currencies Prices come from official sources: the European Commission's Weekly Oil Bulletin for the EU and GOV.UK for the UK. They're national averages, so they can be a bit off from what you see at the pump. By my estimate it's about 3–4% so far. No accounts, no ads, and no analytics in the extension. Settings and history stay in your browser. Tech, for anyone curious: the extension is plain JS and reads the route panel in Google Maps. The site is React + Vite on GitHub Pages, with routing from OSRM and place search from Photon (both OpenStreetMap). A GitHub Action rebuilds everything every 6 hours with fresh prices and prerenders pages for popular routes. Something I didn't expect: after the first week, 64% of site visitors were on phones, mostly coming from Facebook. The extension obviously does nothing for them, so this week I turned the site into an installable PWA with an "add to home screen" prompt. I know it's not rocket science, but maybe someone finds it useful. I'd love feedback, especially on the calculator on mobile and on anything that feels confusing. Extension: Chrome Web Store Web calculator: Tankful Code: GitHub   submitted by   /u/Gold-Swim-8436 [link]   [comments]


  • 情报分类:商业与市场研究
  • 分类依据:内容涉及商业、投资或市场动态
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
  • 发布时间:2026/9/29 21:37:30