Original Summary

I've wanted this for a long time. You make an app once, get one file, and send that exact file to someone whether they're on Mac, Windows or Linux. Not one codebase that still has to become three different packages. The same application file. So I built Krate . The code editor in the video is a single .krate file. It's 72 KB , runs locally, and the exact same file opens on Mac, Windows and Linux. Krate apps are small because they don't bundle an entire browser/runtime into every app. The Krate runtime is installed once, then every .krate app uses it. For someone who doesn't have Krate yet, Studio can package the app with a small opener for the first share. After that, .krate files open normally. I also wanted to see whether this actually makes a meaningful difference beyond file size, so I rebuilt the editing experience of MarkText, an Electron Markdown editor, in Krate and tested both on an M4 MacBook Air. With a 50,000-line document : Memory: Krate used about 96 MiB . MarkText used about 2 GiB . Time until the window appeared: about 0.29s for Krate vs 0.57s for MarkText. First download for a new user: Krate runtime + app was 11.6 MB vs 111.4 MB for MarkText. The point of the test was to see what the shared-runtime approach looks like under the same large-document workload. You can also just send a .krate file through email, iMessage, Drive, or whatever you normally use. The recipient doesn't need your source code, dependencies, or a different build for their operating system. Krate is open source, and I'm building it solo. You can make an app in the browser at krate.tech . I keep one AI-built app free per account because those builds cost me money. If you want to build more, Krate Studio lets you use your own local AI instead. I'd really like people here to try it and tell me where it breaks. If you build something interesting with it, send it my way too.   submitted by   /u/incyashraj_redd [link]   [comments]


  • 情报分类:硬件与数码
  • 分类依据:内容涉及硬件、数码产品或通信卡
  • 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
  • 发布时间:2026/9/29 17:05:02