- SignalDesk2小时前
Original Summary
This is my own hobby project, built over the past few weeks: https://holmeshub.online What it is: every street, station and square that Conan Doyle mentions in the 60 stories, placed on a map of London as it was in 1889. Not a modern map: the streets come from OpenHistoricalMap, and under them you can switch on Charles Booth's 1889 poverty map, the Ordnance Survey 1:2500 sheets from 1869-80, or Bacon's 1880s map. Click a dot and you get the actual sentence from the story. There is also a 3D version of five districts (Marylebone, West End, Westminster, the City, Whitechapel 1888). The buildings are traced from the OS sheets, about 62,000 of them, and each district has a fly-through that tells one of the stories, stop by stop. And a reader: 87 texts (the canon plus some parodies and pastiches, all public domain), with the original Strand illustrations. Place names in the text are links; the map opens over the book and you land back on the same paragraph. Why: I read the stories as a kid and always wanted to see where things happened. I could not find anything that did this, so I built it. Stack, briefly: Python for the data pipeline, vanilla JS with hand-drawn SVG and Canvas (no map library), static hosting on Cloudflare Workers with a small D1 database for comments. Honest state: it is desktop-first. Mobile works but the 3D is heavier there. Readers on r/SherlockHolmes already found a batch of places I had put on the wrong street of the same name in South London; I fixed those. Questions I would love answers to: Did the first screen tell you what this is, or did you have to poke around? On your phone: does the map feel usable, or would you rather it opened the reader first? Is the 3D a gimmick or does it add something for you?   submitted by   /u/martijn1975 [link]   [comments]
- 情报分类:服务器与云资源
- 分类依据:内容涉及服务器、云资源或网络线路
- 信息来源:Reddit · SideProject
- 发布时间:2026/9/28 16:55:32
- 暂无回复